We already had a portion of delicious pizza thanks to yesterday’s Cowabunga collection update, but the turtles are not finished yet. Dotemu and Tribute Games released a brand new patch for the amazing beat ’em up Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shredder’s Revenge.
In the patch – which is available to download now on Switch – the toppings are particularly delicious. We retro-heads here at NL are very excited about the new VCR and CRT filters that make it look like we’re actually playing the game on a dusty old arcade cabinet, just like the good old days. Ahhh…
The other big addition in the latest patch is a brand new arcade mode called Custom Game. Using the Dip switches, you can create your own arcade experience by changing 11 different settings. So if you want to make it a little harder and prevent Taunts from filling up your Ninja Power Gauge, you can do that!
One of the best games of the year just got better, for free? We’ll take that! Here are the full patch notes for the game steam page:
Updated, December 22, 2022
- A new Arcade mode has arrived: Custom Game! Just like a real arcade machine: customize your gaming experience using DIP switches: free play, old-school super attacks, faster enemies, more taunts and more! You can see the customization in the custom games lobbies. Progression and achievement unlocks are disabled in Custom Games.
- In the character select menu, the host can now set a maximum number of players for the lobby.
- Awesome filters have been added: CRT (normal or curved) and VCR! Check them in the Options menu.
- Fixed a rare crash in Arcade mode when changing difficulty.
- Cars can no longer deal massive damage when the player is considered armored (e.g. charging a Heavy Swing).
- Fixed bosses sometimes being unable to reach a player positioned at the very top or bottom of the stage.
- Fixed bosses sometimes freezing after being hit by Raphael’s Super Flying Attack.
- Fixed score not being retained for the player when switching characters after a chase.
- Fixed April’s Super Flying Attack sometimes seemingly resurrecting knocked out enemies.
- Fixed reviving a KO player near the transition point (eg: escalators in Crystal Palace Mall) sometimes preventing progress.
- Fixed timer updating for special statuses (eg: Infinite Ninja Power) when KO’d or in a cutscene.
- Invited players can now join the same hosted game.
- Fixed input was not correctly evaluated when selecting between Backflip or Roundoff while performing a U-turn.
- Fixed a rare soft lock occurring in the World Map if the user completed Stage 8 after completing Stage 10.
- Taunt now only fills the first Ninja Power bar.
- We no longer clear fully stacked Ninja Power bars when KO’d on Chill difficulty.
- Casting now grants the player invulnerability.
- Added more feedback in the HUD when trying to do a Super Attack without enough Ninja Power.
- Made many small animation tweaks to all bosses, often to make attacks easier to read.
- Fixed Dirtbag dig hole collision detection being too wide and too deep.
- Reduced the number of enemies spawned in Zorax’s Scramble and the frequency of Scrambles. Zorax also has slightly less health against multiple players.
- Rat King now Pied Piper less frequently.
- Improved Super Shredder combat in many small ways for a smoother pacing and adjusted some damage values. His grip is now used more frequently and yet is more effective. Shit man!
- Improved the Statue of Tyranny pacing and changed some damage values.
- Mother Mouser has a new bite animation to differentiate charging bite from idle bite, to give players time to react.
- Mouser Model 3 and Mother Mouser now act a bit faster.
- Radical Mode damage multiplier is now applied to all throws, Super Dive Attack, and Charged Heavy Swing.
- Fixed players sometimes falling off screen multiple times when respawning in specific locations.
- Added refresh button to lobby search list.
- We have improved the Arcade score calculation method: we now record each player individually, even if they leave the game.
- Fixed or improved some strings in Spanish, French and German.
- The game will remember if How To Play has been seen before, separately in Story and Arcade modes, as they differ.
- Improved the prompt to reset your story and character progress.
- Pause menu in Arcade Mode now displays total play time.
Need another reason to go get that near-perfect nostalgia fix? What would you say a 9/10 glowing review from us?
Will you try out the new customizable mode? Or are you ready for Shredder’s Revenge to look like the perfect Saturday morning cartoon? Let us know!