People have different views on how best to tackle climate change. In fact, some think it’s too late to make a difference. The problem has become too big and complicated. As a result, humanity cannot rely on a small part of society to manage it.
In line with this, Augmented World Expo (AWE) launched the “XR Prize Challenge: fighting climate change.” The organization will be accepting AR and VR video concept submissions through December 31. Each must present an impactful, creative and functional XR-based solution to the climate crisis. AWE will award $100,000 to the winning group or individual.
XR Prize Challenge Categories
Nominations should describe XR’s role in society in one of these four categories:
1. REPLACE – Replacing material wasteful practices – Concepts in this category should focus on demonstrating the use of XR solutions as a medium for communication and collaboration to reduce the need for transportation and development of new properties.
2. VISUALIZE – Visualize the causes and impacts of climate change – Competing solutions in this category will need to demonstrate how XR can be used to build empathy for climate change efforts through visualization. As explained in the XR Prize Challenge Guidelinesthese submissions must illustrate “XR’s unique ability to educate people about the causes and effects of climate change, and to influence behaviors and policies to promote equity and justice.”
3. EDUCATE – Educate about climate change solutions – This category focuses on how to use the storytelling power of XR to empower solution providers and climate scientists. “As an immersive, spatial, and task-oriented storytelling medium, virtual environments can capture ideas and imaginations like no other communication platform can,” reads the guidelines page.
4. OPTIMIZE – Optimizing the design and execution of climate solutions – Concepts in this category will seek to demonstrate the use of XR technology to perfect solutions for managing or reversing climate change.
XR Prize Challenge Judging Criteria
XR and climate experts will compose the jury and they will choose the winner based on:
- Creativity – originality, design, beauty and relevance of extended reality to combat climate change;
- Functionality – thoughtful user experience, innovative user interaction and ease of use;
- Impact – market viability and scalability of XR-based solution.
XR Prize Challenge Stages
The XR Prize Challenge will take place in three stages:
1. Qualification for the minimum viable product (MVP) of their concept
First, AWE will issue invitations in January 2023 to qualified applicants. These contestants must submit their MVP by April 16, 2023. Entries must be no longer than 90 seconds and must be in English or have an English translation.
2. Selection of finalists
Second, judging of MVP submissions will take place between April 17 and April 30, 2023. AWE will announce the finalists on May 1, after which they will host live demonstrations of their MVPs in Santa Clara, USA, prior to AWE USA. 2023.
3. Selection of winners
Finally, the jury will choose the winners from the batch of finalists. They will present the cash prize at the Auggie Awards on June 1, 2023.
Help fight climate change now
As AWE co-founder Ori Inbar said in a press release shared with ARPost, “There really is no greater collective challenge facing humanity today than climate change – and XR is the perfect technology platform to try to develop creative solutions to deal with it.”
Those interested in participating in AWE’s XR Prize Challenge: Fight Climate Change Fill can submit their concept until the end of this year via this form.