There must be something in the water for the developers of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles right now. After yesterday Corsica TMNT: The Cowabunga Collection update – which added online multiplayer to the SNES version of TMNT IV: Turtles in Time – developer Tribute Games followed up with a fantastic update for their own critically acclaimed beat-’em-up, TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge.
The headline here is the new Arcade mode, which sounds quite superb. Indeed, you can configure personalized game modes and rules by flipping virtual DIP switches, just like on a real arcade cabinet! There are all sorts of neat settings you can play with here, like old school supers that consume health rather than ninja power, just like in old school brawlers like final fight. You can mix and match whatever settings you want to create the type of game you want to play.
Other new features include a range of retro filters, including CRT overlays and even an old-school VHS option. You can play with these to taste! Elsewhere, online multiplayer hosts can now determine the maximum number of players for a lobby, which is helpful.
There are also a bunch of gameplay tweaks, including some fan-requested features like a small invulnerability window after a throw. We’ve included the full list of patch notes below:
- Gameplay – A new Arcade mode has arrived: Custom Game! Just like a real arcade machine: customize your gaming experience using DIP switches: free play, old-school super attacks, faster enemies, more taunts and more! You can see the customization in the custom games lobbies. Progression and achievement unlocks are disabled in Custom Games.
- Online – In the character select menu, the host can now set a maximum number of players for the lobby.
- Chart – Added awesome filters: CRT (normal or curved) and VCR! Check them in the Options menu.
- Fixed a rare crash in Arcade mode when changing difficulty.
- Cars can no longer deal massive damage when the player is considered armored (e.g. charging a Heavy Swing).
- Fixed bosses sometimes being unable to reach a player positioned at the very top or bottom of the stage.
- Fixed bosses sometimes freezing after being hit by Raphael’s Super Flying Attack.
- Fixed score not being retained for the player when switching characters after a chase.
- Fixed April’s Super Flying Attack sometimes seemingly resurrecting knocked out enemies.
- Fixed reviving a KO player near the transition point (eg: escalators in Crystal Palace Mall) sometimes preventing progress.
- Fixed timer updating for special statuses (eg: Infinite Ninja Power) when KO’d or in a cutscene.
- Invited players can now join the same hosted game.
- Fixed input was not correctly evaluated when selecting between Backflip or Roundoff while performing a U-turn.
- Fixed a rare soft lock occurring in the World Map if the user completed Stage 8 after completing Stage 10.
- Taunt now only fills the first Ninja Power bar.
- We no longer clear fully stacked Ninja Power bars when KO’d on Chill difficulty.
- Casting now grants the player invulnerability.
- Added more feedback in the HUD when trying to do a Super Attack without enough Ninja Power.
- Made many small animation tweaks to all bosses, often to make attacks easier to read.
- Fixed Dirtbag dig hole collision detection being too wide and too deep.
- Reduced the number of enemies spawned in Zorax’s Scramble and the frequency of Scrambles. Zorax also has slightly less health against multiple players.
- Rat King now Pied Piper less frequently.
- Improved Super Shredder combat in many small ways for a smoother pacing and adjusted some damage values. His grip is now used more frequently and yet is more effective. Shit man!
- Improved the Statue of Tyranny pacing and changed some damage values.
- Mother Mouser has a new bite animation to differentiate charging bite from idle bite, to give players time to react.
- Mouser Model 3 and Mother Mouser now act a bit faster.
- Radical Mode damage multiplier is now applied to all throws, Super Dive Attack, and Charged Heavy Swing.
- Fixed players sometimes falling off screen multiple times when respawning in specific locations.
- Added refresh button to lobby search list.
- We have improved the Arcade score calculation method: we now record each player individually, even if they leave the game.
- Fixed or improved some strings in Spanish, French and German.
- The game will remember if How To Play has been seen before, separately in Story and Arcade modes, as they differ.
- Improved the prompt to reset your story and character progress.
- Pause menu in Arcade mode now displays total playtime.