EFL goals and roundup: Sheffield United, Sunderland win | Soccer News

Sheffield United secured a fifth successive Sky Bet Championship win to move level on points with league leaders Burnley.

James McAtee’s superb individual goal gave the Blades a struggling 2-1 win Blackpool.

Sander Berge had scored in the first half before McAtee ran from inside his own half to double the lead after the break.

Marvin Ekpiteta has answered for hosts Blackpool, who have now gone eight games without a win and are in the bottom two.

Inform Middlesbrough won for the sixth time in nine games under Michael Carrick, beating 10 players Blackburn 2-1 at Ewood Park to qualify for the play-offs.

Ryan Hedges’ sixth-minute goal was canceled out by Marcus Forss and Riley McGree early in the second half.

Please use Chrome browser for more accessible video player

Blackburn Rovers’ John Buckley is sent off after kicking a ball at Riley McGree’s head during their game against Middlesbrough.

Third-placed Blackburn, who had midfielder John Buckley sent off for kicking the ball past McGree 1-1, are now just three points clear of Boro.

Sunderland moved up five places to fourth with a landslide 4-1 win at Wigan.

Second-half goals from Ross Stewart, Patrick Roberts and Amad Diallo earned the visitors a fourth win in six games.

Ellis Simms’ opener had been canceled by Will Keane for Kolo Toure’s Latics, who slip to the bottom of the table after a third successive defeat.

Millwall abandoned the play-off places as Bristol City fought to a hard-fought 0-0 draw at The Den.

Andreas Voglsammer was the closest to breaking the deadlock with his shot hitting the crossbar.

The Robins have won just once in nine league games, a run which has seen the pressure mount on manager Nigel Pearson.

Neil Critchley’s first home game as a QPR the boss ended in a 3-0 defeat against Luton.

Carlton Morris scored twice to take his season tally to 10 as the Hatters condemned Rangers to a fourth straight home defeat.

Alfie Doughty’s brilliant strike nine minutes from time sealed a second straight win for new manager Rob Edwards in his third game in charge of Luton.

West Brom beat Preston 2-0 to make it seven wins in eight games.

The Baggies, who have changed their season since Carlos Corberan took over as manager in October, took the points thanks to goals from Okay Yokuslu either side of the break.

Coventry and Cardiff fought off a goalless draw, the visitors’ fourth draw in a row.

Ben Sheaf scored a post for the Sky Blues against opponents who are the worst-performing team in the Championship with just 20 goals in 24 games.

from Huddersfield 2-0 win Rotherham moved them from deep as the Terriers moved past Wigan and Blackpool.

The hosts were worthy winners, with Duane Holmes leading them in front just after the half-hour mark.

Jordan Rhodes converted Kaine Kesler-Hayden’s pass from 20 yards after 56 minutes.

Sky Bet Ligue 1

Plymouth beat Wycombe 1-0 to extend their lead at the top of Sky Bet League One.

Dan Scarr sent the ball in from a corner in the 33rd minute which proved enough for the win.

A third straight league win for the Pilgrims moved them four points clear of Ipswich who fought back with a late equalizer to draw 2-2 at Portsmouth.

Marlon Pack gave Pompey an early lead with a free kick before Cameron Burgess drew with the Tractor Boys.

Colby Bishop got the hosts back in front on the hour mark, which had seemed enough for the win until three minutes to play when Conor Chaplin earned a point to bring home to Suffolk.

Michael Smith scored twice, including a first-half penalty, in third place Sheffield Wednesday beat Harbor Valley 2-0 at Hillsborough to move to 49 points with Ipswich.

Robbie Cundy headed a late fourth-place winner Barnsley beat Fleetwood 2-1 at Oakwell.

James Norwood had put the Tykes ahead just after the hour mark, before substitute Admiral Muskwe equalized from a 77th-minute penalty, but Cundy had the last laugh just four minutes from time.

Peterborough beat wrestlers MK donations 2-0 at Weston Homes Stadium and sits sixth.

Joe Ward put Posh ahead before the break, Ricky Jade-Jones adding another shortly after the restart and Jonson Clarke-Harris had his penalty saved.

Bottom club Morecambe beat Accrington 2-0 for a first victory in the league since the end of October.

Liam Shaw broke the deadlock in the 34th minute with Jensen Weir adding a second shortly before half-time.

A late goal from substitute Bobby Kamwa helped Burton win 2-1 at green forest out of the relegation zone.

Defender John Brayford gave Albion the lead in first-half stoppage time. Rovers striker Jamille Matt had his penalty saved and Kamwa made it 2-0 with a minute remaining before Myles Peart-Harris pulled back a goal in stoppage time.

Sam Nombe’s downtime header gave Exeter a 4-3 win at Bristol Routeswhere the visitors scored twice in the final stages.

Goals from Nombe and Archie Collins apparently gave the Greeks control at half-time.

However, Rovers fought back as Aaron Collins and Josh Coburn struck either side of the hour mark before Scott Sinclair’s penalty turned the game around.

Exeter under Timothee Dieng leveled things again at 3-3 with five minutes remaining and there was still time for Nombe to score his second of the game to seal a dramatic victory.

Oxford beat Charlton 3-1 at Kassam Stadium. Billy Bodin and Matt Taylor had control of the U’s midway through the first half. Although Miles Leaburn came off the bench to reduce the deficit in the second half, Oxford substitute Gatlin O’Donkor secured the points with a late third.

Daniel Nlundulu’s first-half goal was enough to give Cheltenham a 1-0 win at Shrewsburywhere both teams finished with 10 men.

Shrews midfielder Luke Leahy and Cheltenham defender Charlie Raglan were both shown red cards after a flash point with just over 20 minutes left.

Sky Bet League Two

Swindon beat Northampton 2-1 to end their Sky Bet League Two rivals’ nine-game unbeaten streak and underline their own promotion qualifications.

Tyrese Shade and Marcel Lavinier secured a win that saw fifth-placed Swindon slip within five points of Northampton, who remained third.

The Cobblers managed a consolation in stoppage time thanks to Sam Hoskins’ 15th goal of the season.

Carlisle picked up a 3-0 win against 10 players Crewe at Gresty Road.

Morgan Feeney put the Cumbrians ahead in six minutes and Owen Moxon doubled the lead shortly after the break.

Crewe skipper Luke Offord was sent off in the 51st minute for an off-the-ball incident before substitute Kristian Dennis kept Carlisle in the top four.

Sixth Mansfield remained in the play-off places after beating Hartlepool 2-1.

Jack Hamilton’s first goal in English Premiership gave the hosts the lead but ex-Hartlepool striker Rhys Oates equalized early in the second half before Oliver Hawkins netted the winner.

Bradford move up to seventh place – and the final play-off position – after beating Harrogate 1-0 in a Yorkshire derby.

Tyreik Wright grabbed the first-minute winner as the Bantams snapped a three-game league losing streak.

ten men Tranmere ignored the sacking of Paul Lewis to win 2-1 in the victory at Wheelbarrow.

Substitute Lewis was sent off for a reckless challenge on Bluebirds keeper Josh Lillis, but Kane Hemmings headed in the winner with eight minutes remaining.

Jordan Turnbull had given Rovers the lead after six minutes before Jordan Stevens equalized for Barrow.

Kyle Wootton’s brace gave Stockport a 2-0 success at Wallsallwhile Craig Eastmond’s stoppage-time winner secured Sutton a 2-1 victory over basement club Gillingham.

Sutton had taken the lead with an own goal from Elkan Baggott two minutes before the break, with Robbie McKenzie equalizing 12 minutes from time.

Matt Smith’s hat-trick in the first half sent off Salford en route to a 4-1 win at Grimsby.

Ethan Galbraith also scored as in-form Salford strengthened their promotion push, while Otis Khan was on target for the Mariners.

AFC Wimbledon the fine form also continued with a 2-1 wrestling success Colchester extending their league unbeaten streak to 10 games.

Ethan Chislett grabbed a late winner, scoring from close range in the 89th minute after Huseyin Biler’s long-range effort was only parried by Kieran O’Hara.

John Akinde had given Colchester the lead after 51 minutes, but Josh Davidson led the Dons level.

Doncaster beat Rochedale 4-3 in a seven-goal thriller.

Charlie Seaman and Ben Close gave Rovers control but Devante Rodney and a Ro-Shaun Williams own goal made it 2-2 after 16 minutes.

Harrison Biggins’ superb free-kick restored Rovers’ lead before the break, but Rochdale substitute Tyrese Sinclair equalized with 13 minutes remaining.

However, captain Tom Anderson appeared with the winner four minutes later.

Leave a Reply