UNION bosses unleashed more weekend travel misery on passengers last night – targeting football fans for a second straight Saturday.
About 40,000 RMT employees will walk out on Saturday, October 8 in a bitter row over pay to “effectively shut down the network.”
Other strikes had already been announced for Saturday October 1 and Wednesday October 5.
RMT leader Mick Lynch praised new Transport Secretary Anne Marie Trevelyan for meeting his union but insisted he had ‘no choice’ but to strike because his wage demands were not met.
He said: ‘We will continue to negotiate in good faith, but employers and government must understand that our industrial campaign will continue for as long as it takes.
But Tory MP Greg Smith raged: “The strategy of strike, strike, strike is not going to win.
“I ask them to stop this action for the good of the entertainment industry and the economy, to prevent people from going to football games, seeing friends and going out.”
“They should want secure, well-paying jobs, but they’re scaring away their own customers.”
A Network Rail spokesperson said: “This latest strike will again cause very significant disruption to passengers, and we will be asking people to only travel if absolutely necessary due to the reduced service that will be in place.”
More industrial action is set to wreak havoc at the labor conference in Liverpool next Monday as railway union TSSA begins a 24-hour march over wages, conditions and job security.